[Public-List] Jib Tracks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Mar 6 14:14:52 PST 2008

J Bergquist wrote:
> I definitely understand and agree with that. If I were caught beating
> against a 40 knot gale I would definitely want to have the working jib up
> and...um...working.

Pat Drenning tells about a racing lecture he went to, where the lecturer
told the assembled racers, "Don't under-estimate the cruisers.  They're
the ones who have to get home in weather you won't go out in."

> I'm just saying that most folks (including me) don't even have a working
> jib. So the idea of restoring working jib tracks when you don't own such a
> sail seems to be a slight mis-prioritization... Andrew brought this up and I
> thought it was a good point. Check sail inventory before messing with
> working jib tracks...right. Good call.

Or, possibly, correct the sail inventory.  Our working jib isn't great
(it's original with the boat), but I'm very glad to have it on board.
I've only used it a few times.

> Fact is that even though our boats are designed for offshore use, the vast
> majority of us are not using them for offshore sailing. So the working jib
> tracks are probably not the most important part of the boat to worry about
> restoring, for most owners... Offshore sailors of course want to make sure
> they have both a working jib and a working track.

I would have thought that our boats were designed for Great Lakes use.
In any event, you can get serious weather on both the Great Lakes and
the Chesapeake Bay.  We often get complacent on the bay because it's
generally so benign.  That can change in a relatively short order.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash