[Public-List] Mooring Pendants Double braided or 3ply?

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 06:53:59 PDT 2008

Just a question here.

  I always thought that for spring lines and mooring pendants that the older style 3 ply twisted nylon line was the best because it did a much better job of absorbing the shock loads.

  Hamilton lists only double braid for their pendants.  Has the technology or wisdom changed to favour these over the 3 ply nylon?

  Double braid is nicer to run through sheaves, but most mooring, dock lines don't require sheaves.

  I would like to have others opinions, but do not wish to begin a Flame war like we had over the inner storm/working jib tracks................hee, hee.  Just a joke.  I'm glad that that conflagration burned out.  I like and appreciate both John and George and their wisdom.  I never saw the assumed offense that began the whole Flaming thing.  Two different opinions from two different perspectives is all that I ever saw.

  I thoroughly enjoy this list because of the diverse opinions expressed in a civil atmosphere.  We all learn to be safer on the water because of this type of exchange.

  Michael

Rachel <penokee at cheqnet.net> wrote:
  I have not used these myself (haven't ever kept a boat on a mooring),
but I've heard very good things about the Yale pendants, and had a
pleasant experience ordering a custom pendant for a customer from
Hamilton Marine (there are many stock sizes and Hamilton has good
prices on most things and is a pleasure to work with).

You can see them here. Scroll down to the very bottom. Then if you
scroll just above that you can see the Cordura chafe guard that people
often use with it.

One more option, anyway :)

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,708.html

Rachel