[Public-List] Mast Beam on #116

Rick Leach rixquik at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 22:51:20 PDT 2008

Jeff,

Your photos show exactly what I found in #121, except there were no knees to the bulkhead strut.

My beam was in sad shape; most of the tabbing was loose and the glue holding the laminations together was mostly dust.  I couldn't close the V-berth doors and it seemed like the rigging wouldn't quite stay tuned.  I eventually overhauled the whole beam; an involved process that I don't regret doing.  I removed, disassembled, and relaminated the nine original beam plys to the original curve with epoxy, sistered them with aluminum plates and reinstalled a much improved beam. Pre-fit and drilled, bedded with thickened epoxy and through-bolted; it will never budge again.  I'll admit that it's kind of like a "belt & suspenders" approach squared, but as I said: no regrets.

Fortunately, from the photos your beam looks better than mine did.  Perhaps hull #121, Sugar Magnolia  (formerly T.S.TOO and CYNARA), was raced hard at some point in her life and her beam was worse than most, but some type of reinforcement, usually aluminum sister plates, have been installed on many, if not most A-30's.

Feel free to contact me off list if you're interested in all the gory details.  I probably have a few photos of the process too.

Cheers!

Rick Leach
S/V Sugar Magnolia, #121
Monterey, California