[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1242, Issue 2

Wcwinslow at aol.com Wcwinslow at aol.com
Wed May 7 18:39:30 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/7/2008 2:55:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
public-list-request at lists.alberg30.org writes:

Hello  from Texas

I bought in to the Bristol Finish baloney. I  did every thing by the
book,proper prep, 5 coats and sanded  between each. They say that their
product lasts at the least  double the time of conventional varnish.
This lousy stuff han  not even lasted as long as conventional
varnish.Now to add  insult to injury, this junk has to be mechanically
sanded off  since its two part urathane.

I've always used  traditional spar varnish with uv filters and some
tung oil. A  twice a year touch up and everything always looked great.
Why  in the world would I have fallen for this BRISTOL FINISH GIMMIC?  I
guess the promise of less application frequency and the fact  that
Hinkley yachts come with this  stuff.

As for me, I'm going back to tradition.

Different response from different folks. I use Bristol Varnish, 8 coats
initially then just a single added coat each year. It wears very well plus it
goes on easy, you can do four coats in a day and you do not need to sand  between
coats.

William C. Winslow

favorites at AOL Food.