[Public-List] Gross Tonnage Measurement

James McRury jdmcrury at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 23 09:17:11 PDT 2008

Okay, I realize that we've addressed something like this before, but I have to provide gross and net tonnage for registration of #124 to the Canadian government.   On the old US registration, gross tonnage is listed as 9 tonnes, and Net as 8 tonnes.  But given the following formulas for determining tonnage, these numbers are way off.
It has to be in metric, just to confuse things (but it does make the math a lot easier)
Gross Tonnage = Tonnage Measurment Length x Tonnage Measurement Breadth x Tonnage Measurement Depth x Gross Tonnage Coefficeient (0.8 for sailing vessels)
GT = 9.22m x 2.67m x 2.75m x 0.08
GT = 5.41 tonnes
Net Tonnage = Gross Tonnage x Net Tonnage Coefficient (0.95)
NT = 5.41 x 0.95
NT = 5.14 tonnes
Here's the document I got the formula from:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/85-0405_0803-05_BO.pdf
Does this make sense?   What have people used in the past for registration?
Thanks!
James McRury