[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1254, Issue 1

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Thu May 22 22:24:35 PDT 2008

Larry-

I really considered doing this when I replaced my engine two years ago.
There is a lot to like about the electric system...quiet, no oil, easy 'on',
etc. I'd be real interested in seeing and hearing about the spec when you
have it.

Sorry I will miss the Miles River Race this weekend. I will be in
Chattanooga dreaming of the Chesapeake. Y'all have fun!

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Richard Mair <fullkeel2000 at yahoo.ca>
wrote:

> --- public-list-request at lists.alberg30.org wrote:
> ------------------------------
> Since all the systems I have seen are 48 volts and up
> I would be interested in finding out how this works
> out as I am thinking along theese lines for next
> year.Of course 48 volts means less current draw than
> 24 but everything is a tradeoff
>
> Richard 609
> Into The Blue
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:04:04 -0400
> From: Lawrence Morris <morris.lc at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [Public-List] Standard Prop Size and
> Pitch
> To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
>        <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
> format=flowed; delsp=yes
>
> Everyone,
>
> Thank you for your responses to my enquiry.  The
> reason for asking is
> I have a customer with a A30 that is considering
> re-powering his boat
> with an electric drive system.  I needed to tell the
> manufacturer the
> existing prop size and pitch and more importantly the
> aperture size so
>
> they can specify a prop that will fit the power curve
> of the electric
> motor in the available space.
>
> It is a really interesting system that utilizes a 24v
> DC electric
> motor connected directly to the prop shaft with no
> transmission.
> reverse is accomplished by reversing the polarity in
> the circuit.  The
>
> motor is a little larger than a basketball and weighs
> approximately
> 50kg.   The motor will charge the battery bank by free
> wheeling the
> prop while sailing.  Other charging options are shore
> power, solar and
>
> an aux. genset.  My customer is in a marina and has
> shore power
> available for primary needs and will add solar panels
> to supplement
> while cruising.   The battery bank consists of a
> series of 8D
> batteries. We are still determining how many will be
> required to meet
> my customers needs.  more batteries the greater the
> range.  When we
> have it all fleshed out I will share the
> specifications with the list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry

J Bergquist