[Public-List] mast beam support

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sun May 4 11:02:15 PDT 2008

Greetings, All,

For those interested, another view of the mast beam support task (with
    many photos) may be found at
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/MastBeam/SimpleGifts/

This job was, admittedly, completed with less finess than the one
using the lazer-cut aluminum beam that came from a template, but seems
to be working fine. My view (as a non-engineer) was that the lift
forces required could come on either side of the beam as provided by
the hefty knees supporting it. That was what I focused on instead of
bolting a beam to bulkhead materials or an aging laminated beam that,
themselves, may be sagging. Obviously, the whole idea is to transfer
that lift, or support, to the middle of the beam where it is
ultimately required.

On another A-30 website section about reinforcing the beam, mention
was made of renting house jacks to boost up the roof under the beam. I
used the auto jack from our Honda and found it to work well. After
slacking off shrouds and the backstay in order to relieve that
pressure, it's a matter of lifting mast, rigging, and pressing up the
cabin roof-- a relatively light weight proposition. A doubled 2x4 post
lifted the beam in the middle.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Randy Katz