[Public-List] varnish

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Mon May 5 04:47:10 PDT 2008

My serious thought is that any more than three beers and the quality goes down. You can keep the cigars though!!

People keep complaining about the work - I have three kids 10 and under. For me it is a holiday. I get out to the mooring with my three beers - about 1.5 beers for the sanding; 1 beer for the varnish, and the balance (ok sometime there might be a fourth beer in the box) watching the sun go down in SILENCE!

I use Bristol Finish. I like it, it seems to hold up well, and yes - it stinks. I also generally keep a boom tent over most of the varnish, which makes a huge difference.

I have not tried putting the epoxy under it. Does that allow for the wood to breath enough? traditional varnish actually breathes a bit, and this was one of the gripes about the Bristol Finish type varnishes - that it eventually some water got under it, and caused blistering. When I spoke to the Bristol folks about 2 years ago, they indicated that they had solved this problem somehow.

Jonathan
197