[Public-List] varnish

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon May 5 08:02:26 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/5/2008 7:47:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
laughing_gull at verizon.net writes:

have not  tried putting the epoxy under it. Does that allow for the wood to
breath  enough? traditional varnish actually breathes a bit, and this was one
of the  gripes about the Bristol Finish type varnishes - that it eventually
some water  got under it, and caused blistering.

That is an interesting consideration. I thought the idea of the epoxy was  to
seal the wood, so that no water could penetrate the porous varnish surface,
and so that was why a varnished finish protected that way would last longer
than  just plain varnish.

The reason I had to do wood down and redo my  main hatch was that the
varnish was blistering in a few spots. The blisters were not pierced; they were
small areas where the varnish had lifted off the wood. That is precisely what I
am trying to avoid with this new system. Ggeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz! :)

Lee
Stargazer #255

favorites at AOL Food.