[Public-List] varnish

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon May 5 08:13:11 PDT 2008

Hi there  -

I used to do the varnish-over-epoxy gambit on TOUCH WOOD's mast.  It worked
well with no complications or problems.

I did it so that the soft sitka spruce mast would better resist raps by
halyard shackles etc.  I didn't know about 'Amine Blush' - I just sanded the
mast to bare wood - gave it a coat of West Epoxy; a light sanding job then
the usual multiple coats of varnish.  The result was a very durable finish
with no evidence of the epoxy showing.

Interesting end note:  now that I have the mast back after it endured 11
years in the tropics...there is no evidence of any trace of either varnish
or epoxy on it anywhere.  The wood is healthy but uniformly bleached silver.

Gord #426 Surprise