[Public-List] varnish

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 5 08:44:08 PDT 2008

Having tried, unsucessfully, to use a hard (read "brittle") polyurethane varnish coating on flexible wood, I would be very sceptical of using a brittle epoxy. I would be even more sceptical on a flexible surface such as the main hatch where one stands and shifts their weight while stowing the mainsail.

  Epoxies usually are vapor-resistant which means that they do not allow for the passage of water, as a vapor, from passing thru. If one would get a water leak UNDER the epoxy, the vapor might not be able to get out thru the epoxy coating. The result would be "creeping crud" or the progression of adhesion loss.

  Architects learned long ago not to place epoxy coatings on concrete floors that were on the ground, as water vapor intrusion lifted the epoxy coating in large sheets.

  Ed Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue (also an architect)

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 5/5/2008 7:47:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,