[Public-List] A4 woes

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed May 7 05:19:15 PDT 2008

Gord -
  I am in the same boat ;-)  Still getting the A4 running after taking
it mostly apart this winter.

  Definitely test for a spark as C.B. described - make sure the gas is
off and there is no gas in the bilge!

  One thing to be sure of is that your battery is fully charged. If you
check the voltage at the coil when the the starter is running you may
find it drops well below what's neccesary for a healthy spark. This
indicates a weak battery, poor connections (including ground) or both.

 Regarding electronic ignition, I agree with George that it's not
required. I put it in because it eliminated one uncertainty when I had a
lot of things to evaluate. It's not a large job - a few fairly delicate
operations.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272