[Public-List] Mould Removal

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sat May 24 22:00:07 PDT 2008

I haven't been following this thread because of work,  but would be interested in knowing how the bleach works out.

As an FYI, I had a similar problem on my boat when I bought her in 2005.  Black mold covered the inside of the cabin ceiling.  Eventually found the mold spots were growing from  the original Fiberglass shell out through two old layers of cabin enamel.  First time around, after scrubbing the cabin ceiling clean, I found little roundish vaguely pinkish spots in the paint where the mold had been growing - which grew back as black mold the next winter.  So then did the archaeology thing and scratched away a couple of them with my boat knife, to expose each layer of paint until I found the root cause-- which was the mold had started in the glass and fed off the paint till it reached air then turned black-- or vice versa- but it was well planted in the FG at any rate..

Next spring I took all the old paint off ( inside main cabin) with commercial paint stripper then sanded everything smooth with a palm sander and 100 grit, then repainted with two coats white poly.  I've still got one spot size of a quarter near the hatch that I missed with second coat- it grows pinkish pinhead gunk  a little bit each winter which I clean off with a sponge and soap 1x/yr--to lazy to buff it out and dab on a smidge of paint.  Anyway, if you have old paint inside, maybe watch for the pink discoloration after the mold is gone...

Glenn b

S/V Dolce,
From: "Rod  Symmes" <harmony at aztec-net.com>