[Public-List] Tachometer and/or cable

dlandrigan at landrigan.net dlandrigan at landrigan.net
Wed May 28 06:07:18 PDT 2008

Good morning,

Hope everyone enjoyed some sailing
last weekend.

I’m looking for some opinions on replacing
or servicing my tachometer and/or tachometer cable. When my Atomic 4 is
running, I intermittently hear a noise that sounds more or less like someone
strangling a seal in the starboard seat locker. Since the sound corresponds to some
wild fluctuations in the tachometer needle, I suspect the problem is the
tachometer cable or the tachometer itself.

If anyone has thoughts on how to
further diagnose and fix this, I’d be glad to hear them. I believe this is the tachometer that was original to the boat (1966).

Also, I’d love to hear
opinions about whether this is a do-it-yourself project or something to give to
the $60-an-hour mechanic.

Thanks

Dan