[Public-List] Going backwards/ Heater

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed May 28 19:16:17 PDT 2008

Cristóbal Pomés wrote:
>      Hi everyone. I finally purchased an Alberg 30 hull number #65, it was
> first called "yellow breeze" and then "buena onda".

Congratulations on your "new" boat!

> However I have found that the boat going in
> reverse tends to go only one way (i think its starboard) making it tricky to
> manouver in tight quarters. Has anyone else expierenced this?

Try giving it short bursts of high power in reverse.  Sometimes
following this with idle in forward, to give better flow over the rudder.

And practice.  I've watched Phil Beigel back up several hundred yards in
complete control.

>       Apart from this I have another problem. If I want my wife to go
> sailing with me I need to warm the cabin, if not she is not going anywhere
> which is understandable because it is very cold down in Chiloe. What kind of
> heaters work well on this boat?

Take a look at http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Accomodations/Woodstove/
for some ideas.  You can also get diesel or kerosene heaters in a
similar size.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.