[Public-List] removing the coamings

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Sun Nov 2 13:42:13 PST 2008

I am removing the coamings to refinish them.

I started by reading the e-mail traffic on this topic.  I found the e-mails very helpful and  have printed a number of them out. At this point, all the bolts are out. The current problem is: separating the coamings from the fiberglass. I learned from reading the e-mail record that putty knives and acute angle wood wedges can be used to separate the coamings from the fiberglass. I have been using a putty knife and I think I am making progress piercing through the sealer. I will look around for some wedges tomorrow.

What I would like to know is if there is a solvent that will attach the black sealant but that would not bother the fiberglass or the teak? While I am willing to use force if  necessary, I would really like to finesse this problem.

For example, could "unbond", the product used to remove 5200, work? I know it does not attack fiberglass, but do not know about its reaction with teak or the black sealant between the coamings and the fiberglass.

David, 432