[Public-List] Tiller end fittings question - part 2

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Nov 11 11:42:22 PST 2008

Re: [Public-List] Tiller end fittings question
From:
George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:35:03 -0500

To:
Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>

Daniel Sternglass wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a long time since I've posted to this list.... After several
> repairs including some machining and wedging brass washers into the
> tiller end fitting, I think it's time for me to replace the tiller end
> "H" fitting and probably the fitting atop the rudder post...

Thanks for the info...

My boat is a 1966. The Edson rudder post cap part looks similar, but I
see 2 problems:

1. On my boat, the large capscrew (and the mating hole in the
rudderpost) runs fore-and-aft; the illustration shows that capscrew
side-to-side.
2. I have no keyway in my rudder post, rather two 1/4" allen head set
screws.

I *might* be able to drill and tap the new rudder post head fitting, but
it appears to have a boss where the load-bearing side-to-side capscrew
goes, so it might not be strong enough. Likely I could drill and tap for
the set screws if I can solve the load bearing capscrew problem.

Is what I have typical of the older boats? If so, is there a known
solution for this? I certainly don't want to re-work or replace the
rudder post.

Thanks,

--Dan S.

Dan, I researched a lot when I replaced mine, and found nothing better
than the original Edson.  See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/TillerHead.html

 - George