[Public-List] Tiller end fittings question - part 2

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 07:53:23 PST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Just before I purchased my boat the yard began to lift it and the strap was on the rudder.  This caused the rudder to slam to one side, which broke the tiller end fitting but not the wooden tiller!!!  The yard at their cost replaced both the tiller 'H' fitting and the rudder post cap with a new Edson set. While I was not there the previous owner mentioned that the yard had to mill a key slot into the original rudder post. Apparently they did this while the rudder and post was in location on the boat.  They must have set up some sort of fixture and used a cutter to mill the keyway.  I have not taken this apart to see how good a job they did.  While sailing the tiller is centered nicely and the fitting appears to be tight on the rudder post.  My boat is a 1966 model, Hull #133.

I have heard that the earlier boats used a pinch bolt set up to hold this fitting on and the later ones used a key system.  I believe that Edson now only makes the key system fitting.  The Edson parts are the proper diameter for the rudder post and the 'H' fitting fits the original wooden tiller, one just needs to modify the rudder post to accomodate the key system.  This process has worked on my boat and I guess that it would work on yours.

Michael