[Public-List] Tiller end fittings question - part 2

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Nov 12 07:59:49 PST 2008

WOW! the picked up the boat with one strap on the rudder ... lucky they
didn't loose the boat !
--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

crufone at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

> Just
before I purchased my boat the yard began to lift it and the strap
> was on the rudder.  This caused the rudder to slam to one side,
which
> broke the tiller end fitting but not the wooden
tiller!!!  The yard at
> their cost replaced both the tiller 'H'
fitting and the rudder post cap
> with a new Edson set. While I
was not there the previous owner mentioned
> that the yard had to
mill a key slot into the original rudder post.
> Apparently they
did this while the rudder and post was in location on the

boat.  They must have set up some sort of fixture and used a cutter to
> mill the keyway.  I have not taken this apart to see how good a
job they
> did.  While sailing the tiller is centered nicely and
the fitting appears
> to be tight on the rudder post.  My boat is
a 1966 model, Hull #133.

> I have
heard that the earlier boats used a pinch bolt set up to hold this
> fitting on and the later ones used a key system.  I believe that
Edson
> now only makes the key system fitting.  The Edson parts
are the proper
> diameter for the rudder post and the 'H' fitting
fits the original wooden
> tiller, one just needs to modify the
rudder post to accomodate the key
> system.  This process has
worked on my boat and I guess that it would

Message -----

From: "Daniel Sternglass"
<dans at stmktg.com>
<public-list at alberg30.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 11,
2008 2:42:22 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject:
[Public-List] Tiller end fittings question - part 2

> Re: [Public-List] Tiller end fittings
question

From:
<gdinwiddie at alberg30.org>
> Date:
> Mon, 10 Nov 2008
16:35:03 -0500

open to all <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>

> Daniel Sternglass wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been a long time since I've posted to this
list.... After several
>> repairs including some machining and
wedging brass washers into the
>> tiller end fitting, I think
it's time for me to replace the tiller end
>> "H"
fitting and probably the fitting atop the rudder post...

> Thanks for the info...
>
> My boat is a
1966. The Edson rudder post cap part looks similar, but I
> see 2
problems:

> 1. On my boat, the large capscrew (and the
mating hole in the
> rudderpost) runs fore-and-aft; the
illustration shows that capscrew
> side-to-side.
> 2. I
have no keyway in my rudder post, rather two 1/4" allen head set
> screws.
>
> I *might* be able to drill and tap the
new rudder post head fitting, but
> it appears to have a boss
where the load-bearing side-to-side capscrew
> goes, so it might
not be strong enough. Likely I could drill and tap for
> the set
screws if I can solve the load bearing capscrew problem.

> Is what I have typical of the older boats? If so, is there a
known
> solution for this? I certainly don't want to re-work or
replace the
> rudder post.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --Dan S.
>

> Dan, I
researched a lot when I replaced mine, and found nothing better

than the original Edson.  See

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/TillerHead.html

>  - George

> These businesses