[Public-List] Lifting boat by rudder ~ solution

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Nov 12 08:32:19 PST 2008

I've been the Facilities Director of our Club for 4 years ending 2 years ago
and have lifted many an Alberg, my own included. I am ticketed to direct and
signal the crane.

To avoid this type of error I strongly recommend doing a Counter Lift when
the boat is in the water, that is placing the aft strap behind the rudder
and lifting from just behind the horn timber.

When Launching, where we can see the placement clearly, we do the
traditional Keel lift.

The boat will take it just fine and there is much less chance of error.

Always check the rudder for being free when the straps start to load up and
stop and lower the boat immediately if either of the following two things
happen:

1. the tiller immediately moves to the side as the straps tighten

2. the tiller feels like it has any drag on it

Always have a person on shore looking under the counter as she starts to
rise to ensure the strap is behind the horn timber

And don't forget to tie the straps together and fore and aft to a strong
point like the bow and stern cleats - leading the line along the sheer and
through the stanchions fairly without point loading anything to avoid strap
slipping

ATB

John