[Public-List] More on lifting Alberg 30's ~ Solutions

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 13 06:19:49 PST 2008

    I have lifted White Opal  #528 28 times, and I will not lift her aft
of the horn timber. I do not think that it makes reasonable sense to
lift the bulk of the ballast by the back of the aging  hull when the
bulkheads are not an integral part of the hull at that point or that the
reinforcement on the longitudinal dividers may have been cut to access
the rudder post. Therefore I have always lifted on the keel.
    I have a plank of hickory that is movable to place under the keel on
the trailer. Once on the trailer, I have enough jacking equipment on the
8 pads that I am able to lift the hull and reposition the plank. The
lifting points on the hull are the forward winches and the center
chainplate. The sling lablels help if your memory is short.
    I always check the tiller to make sure there is no pressure on it
before lifting and I always tie the straps together with 5/8" dock lines
to avoid slippage.
    Having a travel lift is really nice and then the operator may lift
the front and aft separately so that the aft may be a bit higher then
the bow . That gives a more level lift on the front strap and less
likelihood of slippage.
    I have lifted twice at BS&BC, once in and once out,  using the crane
as described by John Birch, both times with keel lifts.
Don #528