[Public-List] More on lifting Alberg 30's ~ Solutions

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Nov 13 09:06:12 PST 2008

Yes, Don prefers it that way and as it is his boat - it's his call.

However, I have known many Albergs including Rough Bounds # 25 and my A-37
Sunstone which are lifted the way I describe without incident or any fatigue
stresses showing

Here Don and I respectfully agree to disagree.

I don't feel the risk to rudder is acceptable or of accidently catching and
lifting off the bronze shoe, which happened once with Sunstone years ago
forcing me to rebed and repair it. Which is why I switched to counter lift
outs. Much safer IMHO

One other thing - be certain with full keelers to lift them level with the
bottom of the keel parallel to the water.

They go in their cradles much easier that way - and to ease placement for
the crane operator, have white line painted in contrasting bottom paint on
the keel to mark exactly where the boat should go in the cradle fore and
aft - match that line to the one painted on the cradle and voila, the boat
is in the right spot

Saves a ton of time and the crane operator can see both lines

All respectfully suggested for your considerations

ATB

John - PS I have directed & assist directed placements of boats & lifts
about 300 times over the past 6 years.