[Public-List] Jib sheet winch

RogerW RCSbiz08 at toadmail.com
Tue Oct 21 07:49:25 PDT 2008

Hi y'all, I've done some looking at pictures and posts, but need more.
My friend's "new" A30 has two winches per side, the foremost smaller one
is apparently for sheeting the smaller jibs from the fairlead block on
the deck near the shrouds, since the angle to the toe rail gets too
steep with a larger genoa jib and the sheet block car pulled back. The
aftmost larger winch has a better angle for very large jibs with the
clew well aft, led through the toe rail block car on it's track. There
is a stationary padeye mounted aft of the rear winch on the toerail (for
spinnaker turning blocks?). He has upgraded to self tailing winches in
the forward positions. Old large original human-tailed winches aft.
  Question 1: Would it be reasonable to put a turning block on the
padeye to use the self-tailers? What of the spin sheet then?
  Question 2: Should we change the angle on the forward winch base so
that it lines up with toe rail and deck fairleads?
   I'm probably going to do the work, as I'm replacing the winch bases
and eventually the coamings.
Thanks in advance, RogerW