[Public-List] Purchase/Survey Advice

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Oct 16 11:30:12 PDT 2008

Hello Roger -

I would agree; there is one sort of survey you want for your insurance
company...there is another you want for yourself.  The later is the type by
which you cut through the emotion of falling in love and try to make a
rational decision.  In the business we call them 'insurance surveys' and
'condition surveys'.  The former is pretty much a form that confirms what
the boat is, and what basic shape it is in.  The later is an in-depth study
of all the warts and scars.

Bear in mind that every A30 afloat today will have issues - a wise sailor
takes heed of developing problems indicated by a condition survey and puts
them in context of the age of the boat and the era in which it was built.

For example, there was an irresponsible surveyor local to me who blew the
sale of a perfectly good Corvette 31 (arch rival of the A30 when both were
in production) because of soft decks around the stern pulpit bases and
'non-ABYC wiring'.   Well any balsa cored deck 35 years old will have SOME
problems... And with regard to the wiring; when our boats were built ABYC
meant nothing other than Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club.  (great club by the way)
Unfortunatly for both buyers and seller, in both cases the folks who read
the survey could not put the issues indicated in context and were scared off
the boat.

Well there's something for the mix.

Gord