[Public-List] Misery Cruise '08

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Oct 20 08:43:12 PDT 2008

Hello Gang -

Well the Misery Cruise of '08 is history - and I am sorry to say there was
not much misery.

We left Midland Bay Sailing Club at approx 11:00hrs Saturday in company with
TULAK, a 33' steel hulled yawl.  In very light airs, under perfectly clear
skies and an air temperature in the high teens we motored down Severn Sound.
Considering that we were facing a voyage under power, we opted for a
perilous inside passage through Big Dog Channel, past Honey Harbour, Deer
Island etc and on up to our rendezvous point at Frying Pan Harbour.

Big Dog was a thrill as the bottom was clearly visible in the still clear
water with every ripple in the sand and rock bottom visible and apparently
within hands reach.  Arrived at Frying Pan about mid afternoon...found
several powerboats anchored in the usual odd manners around the perifery of
the harbour with lines to trees (I will never figure out why they do that,
invariably pinning themselves broadside to the wind or on lee shores)

We lay about in the cockpit eating cheese and crackers, reading and
snoozing.  Roused ourselves later for a walk around the island and had the
pleasure of introducing our Dutch friend Charles to the first beaver dam he
has ever seen. He was amazed that mere rodents had constructed such a
thing... We suggested that it was not such a great achievement, pointing out
how poorly the beavers had laid out the pre-construction survey, commenting
on the complete lack of architectural accents that might have made it
prettier, etc etc.

In time for supper WANDERLOVE arrived, and after all hands had been fed we
retreated to the woodstove ashore, dragged picnic benches close and got a
roaring fire going.  The absinthe sipping, wine quaffing and story telling
continued briskly until midnight. At one point the last powerboat shut off
his generator - we cheered as loudly as we could.  Later, under incredibly
bright blazing stars we retired to our various yachts and denned up for the
night.

In SURPRISE we got a fire going in the woodstove and turned in.  Awoke to
thick frost on the decks and another lovely day.

No misery this year.

Mark and Sandy - thanks for joining us - can't wait to rendezvous with you
again next spring!

Gord #426 SURPRISE