[Public-List] Stuffing Box Drips

Dan Landrigan dlandrigan at landrigan.net
Mon Apr 20 07:06:12 PDT 2009

Hey everyone,

Hope someone on the list can give me some idea of how much water a "normal" stuffing box may let in and how to tell when one is becoming a hazard.

This spring I discovered I've got water coming into the bilge from the stuffing box. I do keep a pretty good eye on the bilge, and it was either dry last summer or so slight I didn't notice it. Now I can see the wetness where water is coming in.

Two weeks ago when I spotted this, I covered over with a tarp any possible source of water leakage and let the boat sit for two weeks.

Just sitting in its slip for two weeks without the motor running at all, the drip raised the water level in the bilge to about eight inches. Any thoughts on whether this needs immediate attention? Obviously, I wasn't planning to haul the boat until next fall, but will change plans if the alternative is sinking.

Many thanks,

Dan Landrigan
 Little Mike