[Public-List] Seacocks and gate valves.

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Apr 12 07:41:34 PDT 2009

John Flanders wrote:

> I am finally getting around to replacing the original gate-valves on my
> boat Sam. The 1 and 1/4 inch sink drain valve is frozen solid on the
> through hull fitting. Has anyone any suggestions on how to get this
> gate-valve off without doing too much damage. I have a similar problem
> with the i/2 inch engine water intake, which I propose to replace with a
> 3/4 seacock.

John, probably the easiest solution is to cut the through-hull fitting
below the gate-valve, and then cut the remaining through-hull fitting
into two halves from the outside.  If you really want to save the
existing through-hull fitting, you might try cutting some vertical cuts
in the gate-valve, /almost/ all the way through, using a dremel tool.
This might help it crack and let go of the through-hull.

This is a good time to remind everyone to check their 1/2"
through-hulls.  If they're the ones that Whitby made with a pipe nipple
peened over a fender washer, replace them right away.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org