[Public-List] Seacocks and gate valves.

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 12 08:15:25 PDT 2009

John;
    In all likelihood the through hull on your boat for the intake to
the motor and the small ones for the sink intakes are a homemade sort of
system that involve a copper pipe flanged over a washer. These should be
expendable and cut off if you cannot get them off any other way. I had
the washer pop off when I tightened the lock collar and so there was
nothing effectively keeping the through hull from popping into the
hull.  from just  "sea" pressure. I did not need a 3/4 inch hole leaking
the lake into the hull.
    You might want to also consider the condition of the plywood backing
plates in the through hull set-up, especially if like mine they were not
fastened to the hull. I think the original intent was that they would
swell enough if there were any leaks to seal out any stray water. That
worked, but once they have been wet and dry  as much as boats in Ontario
have been, then the glue goes in the plywood and some rot can easily set
in too ( not a cause and effect reaction between lack of glue and rot
though).
    You will also find this to be a plumber's nightmare because of the
pipe nipple fittings used originally and hose sizes compared to barb
fittings and reasonable fittings to replace what is there that probably
should not be there.
    I found that I had to cut off a couple of through hulls and that was
easiest if I backed off the lock collar and cut the through hull off
from the outside of the hull.
    With your background in design, you might want to consider the
sizing of the scupper valves to one size larger than is there (it is
more expensive and heavier too but the science of the drains works
better if you use a 1 1/2" valve with two 1" feeders so you need a 1 x1x
1 1/2 Tee to make this work, - also, not easy to find if you want bronze.
    I also found it disappointing to find that one cannot get a seacock
now with just one metal in it; they all have  a SS ball valve in a
plastic liner.
    If you want more of the story, e-mail me off line.
Don