[Public-List] Seacocks and gate valves.

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sun Apr 12 11:15:08 PDT 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Don Campbell wrote:

>    I also found it disappointing to find that one cannot get a seacock
> now with just one metal in it; they all have  a SS ball valve in a
> plastic liner.

I didn't want a stainless or brass ball in my new seacocks, and in
doing the research I found a few options that fit the bill:

1) Spartan bronze seacocks:  Traditional bronze tapered cone. US Bronze.
2) Perko Bronze seacocks: Acetal ball. US Bronze.
3) Conbraco Apollo seacocks: Chromed bronze ball. US Bronze.

I was lucky in that all my old gate valves/through hulls came off
easily -- ahhh, freshwater.  I did replace my engine intake with a 3/4"
intake seacock/through hull just to bring it up to industry standard.
I also removed the metal strainer/cover from the outside and epoxied
the screw holes closed (prefer a "real" intake strainer inside the
boat).

For the cockpit scuppers, I put in 1-1/4" seacocks/through hulls with
"normal" pipe-to-hose connectors on them.  I allowed for future cockpit
scupper fitting changes by the option of replacing the "normal" pth
connectors with Groco "full flow" pth connectors, which go into a
1-1/4" inch seacock but take a 1-1/2" inch hose (most current cockpit
scuppers I like are 1-1/2" in diameter).  Of course now there is a
restriction there with the "normal" pth connectors, but that's how they
usually are, so it's no different.

I used electrical-grade pre-made fiberglass for backing blocks
(McMaster-Carr)

Rachel