[Public-List] Paint over epoxy or wood glue?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 27 05:48:34 PDT 2009

Good morning friends -

The grips of oars are left bare for grip... And the double-boiled linseed
oil is the stuff that treats wood and dries.

I wouldn't put it on the grips though - those should just be left bare wood.
If they go silver that's OK.

On the subject of wood - I got TOUCH WOOD's starboard garboard strake off
yesterday, and mostly intact too.  I was afraid to look at the keel but much
to my surprised delight - it is sound and hard as rock.  As I was wire
brushing the decades of crud off it, among the debris that came out was the
1947 Danish coin I used to keep in the mast step.  It was not in its
position when I got her back and assumed that it was lost.

I could have wept at the well-meaning but misguided 'repairs' she had been
subjected to... Among them a sort of doubler over the third strake up on
both sides.  The doublers were wide and thin planks of red cedar that
bridged one an a half lapstrakes...leaving a void behind and slathered with
that elixor of the devil - 3M5200.  I got the doublers off sliver by sliver
and found a sound plank beneath.  I will never know why they were put on.

Onwards...

Gord #426 SURPRISE (and F 16 TOUCH WOOD)