[Public-List] Paint over epoxy or wood glue?

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Apr 27 07:48:59 PDT 2009

Gord,

Based on my past experience, I hope there is a special place in heaven for
the sailor who undertakes the hell of managing two old sailboats at one
time.

Also speaking of wood, with such great weather in "Da Burgh" this weekend, I
got the new wood winch bases set in epoxy and they do a reasonable (not
perfect, as intended) job of fitting against the outside face of the combing
boards.  I also got the chain plates set and was amazed that my over
analyzed install scheme worked.  Using a gig, I routed out holes 1/2" larger
than the cross section dimension of the CPs (leaves 1/4" all round for
caulking w/ backer rods under) then taped spacers against one side to hold
the CPs at the right height and in the center of the holes; after slathering
on epoxy (the other elixir of the devil) I used shims on the other side of
the hole and clamped the CPs to knees below.  I might even be able to
install the caulking before it rains.  Winches, travelers, manual bilge
pump, cowl vents, deck pipe (if I can find the darn thing), and instrument
panel next.  I think I will hold off on chocks and cleats until after
launch.

All the best,

Roger 148