[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1591, Issue 1

Wcwinslow at aol.com Wcwinslow at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 14:36:41 PDT 2009

In a message dated 8/10/2009 3:04:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
public-list-request at lists.alberg30.org writes:

I am in the process of exploring my options on an Alberg 30, out in West
Vancouver, BC. If all goes well and I get the boat, I'll be joining your group.

The boat I am looking at, named "Wings of a Dove," is listed on Yachtworld
(Yachtworld boat ID#: YW# 39466-2059396) for CAD$24,900. It is hull number
653. I was looking it over today and took several detail pics. I have posted
the pics on flickr, so no major downloading needs to be done. The pics can
be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36677346@N06/?saved=1

Is anyone out there willing to give feedback on the pics as to what kind of
shape it appears to be in? I am not looking for a free survey, I am just
wondering if the wear and tear shown in my pictures is to be expected on a
vintage '81 boat (I know, still young by Alberg 30 standards) or is there
something to be concerned about. If the consensus is that there is nothing too
scary, I'll book the surveyor.

The first thing I do when I look at an Albert or any other boat that is of
the same vintage is to look at the outside hull for signs of poor or no
maintenance. If an owner neglects readily visible problems of wear or tear, then
you need to be on the alert for problems you can't see but might mean a
major expense. A casual glance at the photos reveals the following, by no means
a complete list:

1. under sink through hull and #495, the bronze is corroded, evidence of no
annual maintenance. Those through hulls will seize one of these days.
2. #511, evidence of water penetration
3. #448, pressure crack
4. #516 paint should not be peeling
5. #475 makeshift job to stop a leak
6. #478, no maintenance of drive shaft
7. #449 chain plate rusting
8. #468,450,496 examples of incompetent do-it-yourself repairs.

Knowing all this and armed with a professional survey, you might want to
negotiate the price down.

Albergs are sturdy boats, but you have to decide how much money you want to
spend to restore to like-new condition.

William C. Winslow