[Public-List] A-30 prop shaft packing gland

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Aug 26 21:28:53 PDT 2009

Hello,

Regarding access to prop shaft packing gland in my 1966 (liner-less)
A-30...
Funny this should be the topic if today's thread, that has been my
project on and off over the last couple days.

The previous owner (I guess, I thought it was installed at the factory
before I read this thread) installed a circular screw-in deck plate
(maybe 8" in diameter, I'd recommend bigger, 10-12") in the forward
cockpit floor, centered left to right. You reach straight down and
adjust the gland. Once upon a time I had the wrench that fit the packing
gland, but no more. I ended up buying one of those ratcheting so-called
pipe wrenches with a 2" max jaw opening at  Lowe's. This job is not as
easy as it looks, but it can be done. Assuming you have access, or are
willing to lay on top of the engine...

1. It's a lot easier if you shine a bright light on it from the engine
side, I taped a bright LED flashlight to the engine wiring and hoses.

2. There's a locking nut and the rotating cup that the shaft goes
through. It's was much harder for me to get the wrench on the lock nut
to loosen it, much easier to back off the cap a half turn or so, then
the lock nut turned easily (my problem was too much water seeping
through). If the nut and cup are corroded, you may need to clean them up
with a wire brush and apply some oil, but be careful of the heavy rubber
hose that goes through the hull.

3. I then backed off the lock nut and adjusted the cup for a drip every
20 seconds or so, backed it off about a quarter turn more, hand
tightened the lock nut against it and then (mostly) tightened the cup
back down, tightening the lock nut a little bit. This took several tries
to end up with a reasonable drip rate, but it was easier for me to get a
good grip on the cup. It was more frustrating and tedious than it sounds

If you have to cut an access hole, inside the settee locker might be
better, but I never really thought about it since my boat came with a
deck plate installed. Making a large access hole that doesn't take the
mechanical load when "closed" might lead to structural problems at high
loads. In that sense, a screw-in deck plate with a well-bedded ring is
ideal, easy enough to mark and cut the hole with a saber saw.

If you can find or make the right wrench (1/8" steel sheet would be
fine) it will make the job a lot easier than using an adjustable or any
kind of pipe wrench. Sears sells a 1-3/4" water pump wrench for $30.00
on their website, but I'm not sure if that's the exact size. Don't
bother trying to use the "straight" adjustable wrenches they sell for
plumbers to disassemble traps and drain pipes, the one I got had way too
much play to be used easily, and it relies on a u-tighten-it wing nut
for stability.

Good luck,

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, 1966, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
dans at stmktg.com
cell: 607-592-8012