[Public-List] Access to prop shaft packing gland

Timothy Erwin sailtim at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 15:44:47 PDT 2009

Greg, great question. A couple of years ago I repowered Sonsy, #200, with a new yanmar 2ym15. It is the newer version of the 2gm so I feel pretty sure it is the same size. The technitian was a thin guy with long arms. He hooked up the shaft and replaced packing while laying on top of motor and had no problem.

On the other hand, I am short and have short arms. I am not thin as well. I have to pay someone to replace the packing. I can just see me stuck between the motor and the bulkhead.It is expensive but I don't even have any thin friends, way too much cold beer.

Good Luck
Tim Erwin, Rockport, Texas