[Public-List] water seeping through under mast

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Dec 27 09:24:12 PST 2009

Matthew,

What is the core material in your boat?  To my knowledge, the older
boats have masonite pegboard and the newer ones have balsa.  I've heard
of few problems with the masonite, but I'm sure it happens.

I've done quite a bit of recoring of Calypso, which has balsa, but I've
done it all from the top and laid up new glass over it.  I wouldn't have
much confidence in gluing the original skin back down, and I believe
that the strength comes from the continuous skin being rigidly fixed to
the non-compressible core.  I believe it's like an I-beam, only
distributed over the entire deck.

I don't think that the masonite rots as quickly as the balsa.  I wonder
if injecting with a thin penetrating epoxy would work to stabilize and
restore the core.  I'm thinking in terms of drilling a small hole near
the edge of the delaminated area through a single skin and the core,
then injecting epoxy with a syringe until it comes out at the hole for
the electrical wire.

This would have to be done when the core is absolutely dry, which is a
problem in itself.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org