[Public-List] Rudder Bolts and Rudder Removal.

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 29 16:26:21 PST 2009

Thanks Again for the thoughts on Rudder Bolts.  Looks like these bolt sizes are fairly common and they are even in-stock at K2 fasteners in Vancouver.  I expect to get the Spartan tiller strap and cap in a few days and I'm looking into the gudgeon and pintles.

Another stuck rudder post!  Chris - I wonder whether your shaft is also 1 1/4 instead of the usual 1".  I tried several methods including posting for some suggestions on the list.  In the end I could only get the rudder post out by splitting the rudder and removing the blade.  With that removed I was very slowly able to move the post.  I assume your model is the pre-stuffing box era.  I realised once the blade was removed there was no way that rudder was going to come out complete.  Perhaps keep this in mind as you progress.  Suggest you do an archive search on this thread - about a month ago.

Are you removing the rudder to repair it?  It is a fairly straightforward procedure to split the rudder.   In this way you can check out the bolts securing the rudder to the post and have a closer look at the rudder itself.

Mick