[Public-List] More on Rudder Removal Problems

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Fri Dec 4 13:35:58 PST 2009

Hi Mick,

On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Michael Taylor wrote:

> Having looked again at the rudder and on the archive, it seems I
> have the variation described by Michael (Grosh).  There are two
> sections to the rudder post that appear contiguous.  The upper post
> has 5 slot heads that hold the upper rudder section to the post.  I
> am wondering what these slot heads are screwed into and how long are
> the threads?

I've sent you some photos.  Your rudder sounds like the one I had in
#221 (which makes sense since yours is only ten boats newer).  Those
five slot heads are part of five brass "fingers" in the upper section
of the rudder (other fingers in lower section.  They are approximately
4" - 6" long, and terminate in a molded channel in the rudder that is
about halfway between the leading and trailing edges.  There are nuts
on the end (hence the channel - so they could install the nuts and not
have them protrude).

The brass riveted plats are not attached to the rudder post at all,
even though you'd think they would be.

I think of this rudder as "Fiberglass rudder built with wood design
brains" :D

Rachel