[Public-List] More Rudder Talk

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Mon Dec 14 04:03:51 PST 2009

George has put you on the right path as far as the rudder and pin. I'd
tear it all down just for peace of mind. The stuff does wear, and it's
not rocket science how it's put together.

> My first thought it to make/find a bushing to make up the play.

That also was my first thought when I got to the shoe part of refit. I
looked into an appropriate size Torlon extrusion to use as a bushing. It
comes in 4' lengths, which since I needed only about 3/4", the expense,
and also further weakening the shoe to insert the bushing...

PC 7 to the rescue. I love this stuff (it's a peanut butter consistency
epoxy). I smear it in the egged out hole, then drill when hardened to
match the rudder pintle. My first engineering attempt lasted about 12
years. I just reapplied last year.

I suppose it also possible to gas weld (braze) the hole with bronze,
then drill. I hesitate on that approach mostly because of the
possibility of dissimilar metal complications.

MichaelGrosh