[Public-List] More Rudder Talk

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Tue Dec 15 03:15:09 PST 2009

Chris:

If your rudder is like mine (and that is a big if), you will not need to
dig a hole. A medium speed grinder with 36 grit paper will make all
things apparent. Swing the rudder hard left and right to get down to
metal right on the leading edge up high especially. I would use a 3/8"
electric drill before one of those monster 4000 rpm automotive grinders,
unless you have a light touch/ experience. If you have mentioned your
boat number, it didn't sink in.

The slotted flat head bronze bolts readily came undone(which surprised
the heck out of me) using a monster screw driver and adjustable wrench
on the shank.

On Checkmate I found the middle attachment (sort of a gudgeon/pintle
arrangement) fits together like a chinese jig saw puzzle. It needs to be
unscrewed from the rudder to get to the pin holding it all together. I
unscrewed it from the boat also as I wanted to replace fasteners. I used
a shanked bronze bolt as a replacement pin there-cutting off the head
and threads.

MichaelGrosh