[Public-List] Standpipe exhaust

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Dec 15 09:50:00 PST 2009

Hi,

I just had mine refurbished. It was leaking and something inside
was rattling. I didn't actually see the pipe disassembled, but
the guy made some drawings which I've reproduced and put
on the web at:
http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/sailing/standpipe.gif
The drawing is a bit crude, and not to scale, but it gives
you the idea.

The rattle was caused by the deflector cap coming loose,
which is what is described in the last paragraph of:
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/standpipe.html
It was resoldered in place. It wasn't possible to get the top
cap off by melting the original solder, so it was cut off and
then resoldered with silver solder.

The guy who did this (Townside Auto in Victoria BC) said the
pipe was copper, not bronze. He figured that to make a new one
would require 200$ worth of copper parts plus 3 hours shop time.

Stephen Gwyn
#495 Quasar

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn