[Public-List] Rudder Removal

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 15 18:41:14 PST 2009

Finally the rudder on #231 was removed from its housing.  I poured warm water and detergent  into the rudder post housing and to my surprise not a single drop flowed out beneath the hull.  I left the water in for a few hours and again gently started working the rudder back and forth (not side to side!).  Still not a drop of water flowed out.

Armed with some knowledge of how the rudder was put together from some photos of the rudder sanded back on the port side (thanks Rachel!) I ground back the gel coat chipped out the marinetex(?) in the keyway and removed the upper rudder post bolts.  The rudder was then removed.  I could see that there was no way that rudder was going to come out in one piece.  I worked away for an hour or so twisting a pulling on the post before finally some of the water began to drip out.  After another half an hour or so the rudder post finally came out.

So now I can retire to a warm workshop and start rebuilding.  Only a couple of months ago someone on the list suggested that the ruddder was a weak point of the Alberg design.  Having removed the rudder I was impressed how substantial the rudder is.  I will be putting it back without making any modifcations.

Thankyou to everyone who made suggestions on its removal.  I'm happy to be working back inside.

cheerio

Mick