[Public-List] Dripless stuffing box (was: Standpipe exhaust)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Wed Dec 16 09:20:31 PST 2009

John,

I'm not sure what brand of dripless seal you are using, but here is
what I understand:

The ones I'm familiar with do want you to have a flow of cooling water
(a small plastic PTH connector is inserted and you run a hose to it),
but that is usually not required, flow wise, for a displacement speed
boat.  On the other hand, some people still do elect to install the
cooling water hose in a displacement boat, because this eliminates the
need to burp them upon launch.

Not that burping is a problem, but you have to be sure that the yard
does it.

Rachel

PS: I can't remember which of the two popular brands this is, but one
of them requires a really good shaft surface for it to seal to;
whereas the other brand uses two mating discs to seal, and thus is
more tolerant of slight imperfections in the shaft.

PPS: Don't take this as an endorsement at all. Personally, I vastly
prefer the traditional stuffing box, with some nice gore packing.