[Public-List] Dripless stuffing box (was: Standpipe exhaust)

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Wed Dec 16 10:34:59 PST 2009

The dripless seal I am looking at does have a water inlet installed  to
cool the surfaces at high RPM.  This may not be necessary on my A4 that
runs at 1500rpm but will keep it cool.  On this model there is fixed
portion attached to the stern tube within the bellows and a fixed disk (I
believe it is a carbon composite material) attached to the prop shaft.
Inside this disk are 2 "O" rings that create the water seal on the shaft.
The water inlet is on the sterntube assembly as long as there is
sufficient presure on the carbon surfaces no water will pass.  I believe
this is the same principle used on some top load washing machines.  I am
still not convinced to go this way but it is high on my priority list.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380