[Public-List] Yanmar 2GM Starting Current

Robert Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Wed Dec 16 11:24:05 PST 2009

Your cable size(s) will be determined mostly by the length of your runs
from the starter to the battery(s) and back. The batteries are often put
in the compartments under the sole adjacent the engine, or occasionally
in the cockpit compartments under the seats--the "sail lockers."The
various cable manufacturers have easily read tables online that you can
use to determine the minimum sizes required.  Many years ago, I re-wired
all of A30 219 & stepped up the starting and other battery cables one
size; I consider the fact that I have had no electrical problems since a
vindication of that decision and the modest additional expense.  It was
helpful to lay out all the cable runs with old stiff discarded romex
house wiring to determine exact requirements before buying and cutting
cable. It is worthwhile to provide chafe protection (rubber grommets,
etc) where ever you think it might be necessary, as it avoids problems
in the future and helps make your work look more professional--and you
will sleep better.
Good Luck!
Rob Alley
A30 219