[Public-List] Rudder Bolts

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Dec 21 15:10:51 PST 2009

Michael Taylor wrote:
> The bolts securing the rudder blade to the rudder post on #231 will
> be replaced however I am not sure what these bolts are made of.  The
> Whitby drawings on the website show brass however I am wondering if
> this is red brass or silicon bronze.  Also, I would have thought the
> rudder post was silicon bronze rather than brass.  Hard to imagine
> the rudder post would be in such good condition after 40 years if it
> were brass.
>
> Any thoughts?

Mick, it's likely that Whitby used red brass.  That's what the rudder
post was in #543.  I suggest using silicon bronze, though.  Not only is
it better, I doubt the brass you find today is as good as that Whitby used.

> ps I will be keeping notes and taking photos as I do the rudder
> rebuild incase anyone is interested in what I find.

Great!  I'd be happy to post that as a web page on alberg30.org if you'd
like.  If you give me the notes & photos, I can turn them into a web page.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org