[Public-List] Engine Alignment

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Dec 29 15:18:14 PST 2009

Here is a true story...

A wooden Folkboat with an inboard engine (clearly not TOUCH WOOD - she
never had an inboard) was happily sailing across Toronto Harbour one
night many years ago.   The fellows sailing the boat thought it would
be fun to set the 'chute so up it went.

All good things must come to an end, and sure enough after a time the
far side of the harbour began to loom large.   But what ho, perhaps
they did not need to douse the chute, perhaps, they reckoned, they
might sail through the harbour's Western Gap channel under spinnaker.
Oh what Sea Scourges they'd be with that tale to tell.  Onwards they
went. (have a look at Google Earth to see the Western Gap Channel)

Their happiness was somewhat dampened when they got into the channel
and discovered that they could barely lay it reaching under the
spinnaker with the pole laid hard against the forestay.  The boat was
now doing over 7knts and they were being steadily pressed toward the
northern (leeward) side of the channel.   They decided to lower the
chute but found that halyard block had jumped its sheave and was
jammed.  They could not lower the chute.     Just as they were
digesting this evidence of the developing shipwreck, the cross channel
ferry to the Toronto Island Airport gave its hoot and shot out in
front of them.

Thinking swiftly, one of them dove into the cabin and started their
Stuart Turner gas inboard (called the 'Explosion prone Stuart Turner
in Don Street's book) Uncharacteristically it started first try.  They
slammed it into reverse and opened the throttle.  They felt the boat
give a violent shake and the steering locked.   What had happened was
the prop shaft had spun back away from the transmission and jammed
against the rudder.  Worse, the prop had grabbed a line that was
trailing in the water and that jumped the rudder up almost out of the
gudgeons.  The boat was still exceeding hull speed.

The guy steering decided it would be better to hit the concrete
harbour wall than the ferry so he wrenched the tiller as hard as he
could to bear away... and tore the rudder right off.  Now free of the
rudder, the shaft finished it's exit and left the boat (luckily still
tangled in the sheet).

At this point the first guy dove into the cabin again and scrambled
into the forepeak.  He grabbed the anchor and threw it up out the
forehatch.  It cleared the rail and sank, with the anchor line singing
out after it at about 7knts.

There was nothing more they could do - the boat was sinking, the
spinnaker was jammed aloft, the ferry and wall were both coming...
suddenly the end of the anchor line was reached and the boat snapped
her head into the wind.  She came to rest with her stern within reach
of the wall... the ferry missed them (likely never saw them, no lights
of course).

The owner of the boat rammed a bung into the prop shaft hole while the
other guy cast off the spinnaker guy.     They opened a couple of
beers and sighed.

This really happened.

Gord
#426 Surprise