[Public-List] Rudder Bolts and Rudder Removal.

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 04:05:23 PST 2009

I'm wondering if the jamming that you, and others, have experienced is because the upper rudder haft is slightly bent?  Over the years "hard over" tiller movements at speed might generate enough force to induce a slight bend if the bottom has enough play.  It wouldn't need to be much if the tolerances are tight.  Add to that the need to get the rudder around the end of the prop shaft and you could be out of alignment just enough to cause the shaft to jam.  If this is the case you should be able to detect it by rolling the shaft back and forth on a flat surface and look for signs of "wobble".

Cheers,

Hugh