[Public-List] cockpit hatch

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Feb 12 08:14:46 PST 2009

My boat, Brigadoon II, had a Bomar hatch about 20" square installed in
the cockpit sole before I bought her, probably when the diesel was
installed. I have never had any issues with strength. If you ever cut
into the cockpit sole, as I did to install a wheel, you will see it is
built like a tank.  I like having that access hatch.

    My only comment on installing anything in the cockpit area -  a
pump. electrical outlet, whatever - is to very carefully consider what
might interfere with it. I installed a pump with insufficient clearance
to fully move the handle up and down. I can';t open the Bomar without
removing the shore power cable. (What was I thinking?)

    I think my boat came with a tubular up and down pump as there are
some brackets in the lazarette.

- Gordon White