[Public-List] Main halyard sheave? (first-generation boats)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sun Feb 8 00:32:12 PST 2009

While we're at the top of the mast, I have a question about the main
halyard sheave (and the halyard).

I've read what I can find from the list and the halyard discussion on
the collaboration page; and also the page on the .org site that shows a
sheave.

Here are my questions:

1) I'd like to go to an all-rope main halyard, and now is the time, so
I'm thinking maybe a new sheave is in order (?)  The groove in the
existing one is fairly rounded (i.e. not v-shaped), but also quite
narrow.

2)  Does anyone have the specs for a first-generation sheave?  Or can
they tell me if the group order one fit their boat?
The one shown on the .org site

here: http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/MainSheave/

is aluminum, and it looks like mine is Tufnol (or similar - looks like
the brown fabric made into a solid, like Garolite).  Also, in my crude
measurements, I got closer to 6" (but that was before I read 6.5" on
the site; I'll have to recheck that.

3) Zephyr Sheave Werks says they have made sheaves for A-30s - is that
where the group buy came from?  Again, were they all the same or were
there age variations?  He can make a new one for me easily if he can
just use the specs he has on hand, but I would like it to fit of
course!

4) Has anyone gone to all rope with the original Tufnol sheave?

5) Since the sheave itself is only about 1/2" in diameter, and fits in
an aluminum "tray," how does a new sheave allow for larger line?  Are
the "shoulders" just skinnier?

Thanks as always for your input,

Rachel