[Public-List] saddle tanks and engine access

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 07:24:20 PST 2009

Hi Dave,

I plan to make an access on #133 in the cockpit sole for rear of engine maintenance and stuffing box adjustments.  I would either purchase an access hatch from Bomar or mfg my own as Joel has done.  BUT the only way I would make this modification, that so much affects the seaworthyness of my boat, would be to also install a grating system which would span the hatch.  I would not want the hatch to have to support the weight of crew or skipper in the cockpit.  Bomar does make hatches which are probably strong enough to support such weight, but I would like the back up of the "bridging effect" of the grating system.  My idea is that the hatch itself would provide the water tightness and the gratings the structural support needed. Perhaps Joel can comment more on his installation.

I know that you already have a grating, so that aspect is covered.  How are 'things' going on the deck painting and refurbishment?

Michael